- Recorder Online - http://www.berthoudrecorder.com -
Grand Prize of $5,000 Added for Top Pie in 2010
Posted By Gary Wamsley On July 22, 2010 @ 2:25 pm In Variety | Comments Disabled
New Grand Prize of $5,000 Added for Top Pie in 2010
PUEBLO, Colo. – Pillsbury® is calling all pie lovers to enter a pie at the 2010 Colorado State Fair Pie Baking Championship. Kitchen creativity and passion for pie could earn participants a shot at a $5,000 national grand from the makers of Pillsbury Pie Crusts!
To enter the 2010 contest, sign up with the Colorado State Fair and deliver any dessert pie using Pillsbury refrigerated pie crusts. Think sweet not savory! Use cream, custards, fruits or any creative ingredient combination. Entries can have one or two crusts. Entries will be judged at the fair based on taste, appearance, creativity, ease of preparation and general appeal.
The Pie Baking Championship is for pie lovers of all ages. First place wins a $200 cash prize and a commemorative gift. Each first place winner also has a chance to win the $5,000 national grand prize, selected after the 2010 fair season from the 21 first place fair winners. Second place at each fair receives $100; third place $50. All winners also receive a ribbon, an official contest apron and an award certificate.
The contest will be held on Wednesday, September 1, 2010, at the fairgrounds; registration is now open with an entry deadline of Monday, August 30, 2010. For contest details, official rules, and a list of other special contests, contact the Colorado State Fair general entry office at 719-404-2080 or visit http://www.coloradostatefair.com/index.php?page=competitive_special_contests. 
The Colorado State Fair runs from August 27 – September 6, 2010. For more information, visit www.coloradostatefair.com .
This Pear Cream Pie earned grand prize honors in the 2009 Pillsbury® Refrigerated Pie Crust Championship.
The recipe was the Arkansas State Fair first place winner, created by Bill Blake.
Pillsbury® Pie Baking Championship
Pillsbury® Pear Cream Pie
Prep Time: 1 Hour 20 Minutes
Start to Finish: 5 Hours 20 Minutes
1 box Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crusts, softened as directed on box
5 cups sliced peeled fresh pears
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon fruit protector (ascorbic acid)
1 1/4 cups water
3 egg yolks
1 cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
4 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
1 cup whipping cream
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1. Heat oven to 450°F. Place 1 pie crust in 9-inch glass pie plate as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell. Bake 9 to 11 minutes or until light brown.
2. To make lattice top, cut second crust into 1/2-inch-wide strips with pastry cutter. Line large cookie sheet with parchment. Weave strips together to make lattice design; trim to fit top of pie. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until golden brown.
3. Meanwhile, in large saucepan, place pears, 3/4 cup sugar, the fruit protector and water. Cook over medium heat until pears are tender and almost all liquid has evaporated. Cool slightly while cooking filling.
4. In medium saucepan, place egg yolks; beat with whisk or fork to blend. Stir in 1 cup sugar. Add cornstarch and salt; mix well. Stir in 1 1/4 cups milk, the evaporated milk and 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla until blended. Stir in butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Spread pears in cooled baked shell. Spread cream filling over pears. Carefully slide lattice top onto pie. Cool; refrigerate 4 hours or until filling is set.
5. In chilled small bowl, beat all topping ingredients with electric mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form (Do not overbeat.) Decorate top of pie with whipped cream as desired. Serve with any remaining whipped cream. Store covered in refrigerator.
Article printed from Recorder Online: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com
URL to article: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com/2010/07/22/grand-prize-of-5000-added-for-top-pie-in-2010/
URLs in this post:
 Image: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com/2010/07/22/grand-prize-of-5000-added-for-top-pie-in-2010/pie/
 http://www.coloradostatefair.com/index.php?page=competitive_special_contests. : http://www.coloradostatefair.com/index.php?page=competitive_special_contests.
 www.coloradostatefair.com: http://www.coloradostatefair.com/
Copyright © 2010 Berthoud Recorder. All rights reserved.