- Recorder Online - http://www.berthoudrecorder.com -
Air Force 5, Hawaii-Hilo 2 in men’s tennis
Posted By admin On March 24, 2011 @ 9:27 pm In Colorado Universities | Comments Disabled
The Air Force men’s tennis team halted a three-match losing streak with a 5-2 victory over Hawaii-Hilo Thursday in Waipahu, Hawaii. With the victory, Air Force improved to 9-5 this spring.
UHH opened the match by winning the doubles point. Air Force did, however, win the No. 2 doubles match as senior Taylor Soster and freshman Lucas Marin-Salcedo downed Ryan Coffey and Bryan Canavan, 8-4.
Soster and Marin-Salcedo joined three other Falcons to win in singles. Soster was the first off the court with a 6-3, 7-5 win at the No. 4 spot over Justin Dugan, followed by sophomore Lance Wilhelm winning the No. 1 match, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 over Stephen Royalty. Marin-Salcedo gave Air Force a 3-1 lead with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 2 over Carlos Quijano, but the Vulcans cut the lead to 3-2 with their only singles win as Coffey rallied to beat AFA freshman Andy Jackson, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 3.
Freshman Steven Young clinched the team match for the Falcons with a 6-1, 4-6, 6-1 triumph over Larson Oliva at No. 6 and freshman Alex Grubbs won the No. 5 match, 4-6, 7-6(1), 6-4 over Canavan.
“I’m happy our guys got back on the winning track today, ” said head coach Dan Oosterhous. “We came out strong in singles after losing the doubles point but Hilo kept fighting and forced us to close out lots of tight matches. Our team captain Taylor Soster showed great leadership today on the court, winning both his matches and turned the match around with his determined and focused effort.”
Air Force 5, Hawaii-Hilo 2
March 24, 2011 – Waipahu, Hawaii
1. Lance Wilhelm (AF) def. Stephen Royalty, 2-6, 6-1, 6-2
2. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (AF) def. Carlos Quijano, 6-2, 6-4
3. Ryan Coffey (UHH) def. Andy Jackson, 1-6, 6-4, 6-4
4. Taylor Soster (AF) def. Justin Dugan, 6-3, 7-5
5. Alex Grubbs (AF) def. Bryan Canavan, 4-6, 7-6(1), 6-4
6. Steven Young (AF) def. Larson Oliva, 6-1, 4-6, 6-1
Order of Finish: 4, 1, 2, 3, 6, 5
1. Royalty / Dugan (UHH) def. Wilhelm / Jackson, 8-5
2. Soster / Marin-Salcedo (AF) def. Coffey / Canavan, 8-4
3. Quijano / Kallen Mizuguchi (UHH) def. Grubbs / Ali Rizvi, 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Article printed from Recorder Online: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com
URL to article: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com/2011/03/24/air-force-5-hawaii-hilo-2-in-mens-tennis/
Copyright © 2010 Berthoud Recorder. All rights reserved.