- Recorder Online - http://www.berthoudrecorder.com -
Cal Poly 6, Air Force 1 in men’s tennis
Posted By admin On March 25, 2011 @ 10:20 pm In Colorado Universities | Comments Disabled
The Air Force men’s tennis team wrapped up competition on its spring break trip to Hawaii Friday with a 6-1 loss to 40th-ranked Cal Poly in Waipahu. The Falcons went 1-3 this week and are now 9-6 this season.
The Mustangs took the doubles point with wins at the top two spots. AFA won the No. 3 match as freshmen Andy Jackson and Alex Grubbs downed Brian McPhee and Drew Jacobs, 9-8(5), at No. 3.
Cal Poly won five of the six singles matches, four of them in straight sets. Falcon freshman Lucas Marin-Salcedo posted AFA’s lone win at the No. 2 spot, rallying from a couple of match points down to defeat Alexander Sonesson, 0-6, 7-5, (10-5). The other three-setter came at the No. 4 spot, where senior Taylor Soster dropped a 5-7, 6-2, (10-5) decision to McPhee at the No. 4 position.
“It’s exciting to see our team compete at this level. Cal-Poly is a great team and we got outplayed in almost all lines but I was very proud of how we fought today,” said Air Force head coach Dan Oosterhous. “We made some big changes in our doubles line-up with Jackson and Grubbs pulling off a big win at #3 in their first match together. Lucas Marin-Salcedo fought off match points and played his best tennis this spring in a three-set win at #2. Our guys played against great competition this week and we’re excited and ready to get into our conference schedule next week.”
The Falcons return home to play the University of Denver on Tuesday, March 29 beginning at 1 p.m.
#40 Cal-Poly 6, Air Force 1
March 25, 2011
1. Andre Dome (CP) def. Lance Wilhelm, 6-1, 6-1
2. Lucas Marin-Salcedo (AF) def. Alexander Sonesson, 0-6, 7-5, 1-0 (5)
3. Jordan Bridge (CP) def. Andy Jackson, 6-1, 6-4
4. Brian McPhee (CP) def. Taylor Soster, 5-7, 6-2, 1-0 (5)
5. Marco Comazzo (CP) def. Steven Young, 6-1, 6-4
6. Sebastian Bell (CP) def. Alex Grubbs, 6-1, 6-2
Order of Finish: 1, 5, 3, 6, 2, 4
1. Dome / Sonesson (CP) def. Soster / Marin-Salcedo, 8-2
2. Comazzo / Bridge (CP) def. Wilhelm / Young, 8-6
3. Jackson / Grubbs (AF) def. McPhee / Drew Jacobs, 9-8 (5)
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
Article printed from Recorder Online: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com
URL to article: http://www.berthoudrecorder.com/2011/03/25/cal-poly-6-air-force-1-in-mens-tennis/
Copyright © 2010 Berthoud Recorder. All rights reserved.