This year’s Loveland Historic Homes Tour takes place on Saturday, May 7; from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. The annual tour organized by the Loveland Historical Society features three homes, a church, a downtown commercial building and a public building.
The oldest structure on the tour is the Bonnell Building on Fourth Street in downtown Loveland. Benton Bonnell built this structure some time between 1887 and 1890 to house his mercantile store. The building has been restored to its original charm as much as modern building codes would allow and is now an event center.
The beautiful Victorian/Edwardian home at 1140 North Lincoln was built in 1901 as a residence for J.M. and Mary McKee. The interior has been modified for commercial use and was the home of Ms. Attie’s Tea House before becoming the McEwen Law offices.
The beautiful hipped roof vernacular home at the corner of Second Street and Grant Avenue was built circa 1903. This home is architecturally significant for its representative hipped-roof box architectural plan, and because it displays superior craftsmanship and high artistic value. Its unusual corner entry faces the nearby intersection.
The Gladson home on East Fifth Street, though situated in the middle of block, also has a corner entry. The Edwardian structure was built in 1910 and maintains much of its original historic character despite its numerous residents over the years. The home has its original doors and windows on the main level, except for the kitchen, which was, recently remodel for modern usage.
The Loveland (Pulliam) Community Building on North Cleveland Avenue was built between 1937-1939 with labor provided by the “New Deal” Works Progress Administration (WPA), an unemployment relief program sponsored by the federal government during the Great Depression. It put 180 craftsmen to work. The site, along with $20,000 toward the cost for the building, was donated by philanthropists David Thomas Pulliam and Lillian Pulliam in 1936.
The building has seen limited in use during the last few years because modern codes reduce the occupancy level. A movement is underway to return the structure to its original appearance and to update its safety features. More on that project tomorrow.
The final building on the tour is the First United Methodist Church on North Grant Avenue. The congregation had its beginning in the mid-1800s with the services held in a log cabin home. The present building was build in 1950 after a fire on December 29, 1946 destroyed the church’s 1901 structure. The church is now celebrating its 150th anniversary.
Also on the tour is the Medina Cemetery west of Loveland. The Loveland Historical has been sponsoring research and restoration of the site.
Tour ticket books include a map and descriptions of each site and docents will be on hand to guide visitors and answer questions.
Print This Post