December 2016
S M T W T F S
« Nov    
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031
News for Norther Colorado and the world

Friday, December 9, 2016

Posts Tagged ‘peacevoice’

The numbers don’t lie—but Trump does

The numbers don’t lie—but Trump does

By Tom H. Hastings According to a Fox News poll taken this week, voters believe Donald Trump would do better than Hillary Clinton on the economy. This is a wildly poor assumption. Look at the fair and reasonable indicators. We can surmise that Trump would continue his fact-free shoot-from-the-hip predatory capitalist approach, and that his policies might look more like George W. Bush’s than anyone else’s. We can also logically guess that Clinton’s policies would resemble those of ... Full Story

Billions for defense but not one red cent for peace

Billions for defense but not one red cent for peace

Fiscal cliff and the peace parachute By Tom H. Hastings As we all know, the inability of Congress to act decisively and with consensus about much of anything--if the Democrats issued a statement noting that the sun rises in the east there would be an instant outraged Republican rebuttal blaming Obama and explaining the Republicans' refusal to acknowledge the power of the sun, since that is an attack on JC (Job Creators, and probably the other JC too)--that inability has now been harnessed to ... Full Story

How Violence Protects the State

  By Stephanie Van Hook On April 4, 1967, exactly one year before Martin Luther King Jr. was murdered, he spoke passionately in a sermon at Riverside Church in New York about the war in Vietnam. In this gripping speech about the hypocrisy of bringing democracy through napalm and the audacity of fostering a brotherhood through war and killing, he made a daring confession: “I could never again raise my voice against the violence of the oppressed in the ghettos without having first spoken ... Full Story

“Defense Act is unconstitutional”

“Defense Act is unconstitutional”

      by Brian J. Trautman       Each year, Congress authorizes the budget of the Department of Defense through a National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA). The NDAA of 2012, however, is unlike any previous ones. This year’s legislation contains highly controversialprovisions that empower the Armed Forces to engage in civilian law enforcement and to selectively suspend due process and habeas corpus, as well as other rights guaranteed by the 5th and 6th ... Full Story

What We Owe to Bertha von Suttner

What We Owe to Bertha von Suttner By David Swanson Just saying her name sounds like a joke: Baroness Bertha Felicitas Sophie Freifrau von Suttner, Gräfin, née Countess Kinsky von Wchinitz und Tettau. And when she began talking about ending war in mid-nineteenth century Austria it wasn't her name that was treated as a joke. Yet by the turn of the century, her idea seemed to be one whose time had come. Bertha von Suttner's novel "Ground Arms," or "Lay Down Your Arms," was widely described as ... Full Story

Occupy Our Fears of Iran

By Winslow Myers U.S. behavior long ago provided one causal context for our unease about the presumed nuclear aspirations of the Islamic Republic of Iran: the U.S. and Britain messed with Iran’s last authentically democratic election in 1953, fearing communist influence and the nationalization of oil. U.S. oil corporations, a minor partner before the CIA overthrew elected Mohammad Mossadegh and installed the dictatorial Shah, then became the largest profiting entity, even more than the ... Full Story

Message: Bake a bigger Occu(pie)

  By Carlo Filice   With the various Occupy Wall Street demonstrations, talk of economic and social fairness is in the air. Demonstrators are complaining about the vast inequalities in wealth and political influence between the rich 1 percent or so and the remaining 99 percent. Are the complaints morally legitimate? A key point must be made. Wealth (and influence) inequality per se does not mean unfairness. One analogy is the classroom. Inequality of grades does not imply ... Full Story

Page 1 of 11