I am running for Colorado House of Representatives District 49 because you deserve a choice. Two years ago my opponent ran unopposed. The differences between us is like night and day.
- I am absolutely sure women should receive equal pay for equal work and make their own health care decisions.
- Science, not intuition, tells me why the polar ice is melting and why our trout streams are warming.
- In 2004 Colorado adopted the forward thinking goal of 30% of our electrical power coming from renewables (like solar and wind) by 2020. Aspen and Boulder reached 100% this year. It is more difficult (not impossible) for our entire state to achieve 100% renewable without power shortages. The first step is to recognize that the goal is attainable one step at a time. X-cell’s new wind project is a giant step.
- Our school systems need to incorporate affordable, post-high school job-oriented training to fill family supporting jobs.
- It is time for the federal government to bring Medicare to all our citizens.
- Colorado’s minimum wage needs to be incrementally increased to at least $12 per hour by 2020.
- Colorado’s high-desert climate makes Colorado a “destination of choice” for people living on both coasts but also makes water the determinate factor in our state’s population growth and sustainability. As our population increases we need more water to drink and more water to grow the food we eat. We are all experiencing Colorado together and together we need to share the same Water-Energy-Food-Housing Roadmap.
- Public transportation and public roads go hand-in-hand. We need to soon buy the rights-of-way for both commuter rail and interstate highway expansion, parallel to I-25, from Wyoming to New Mexico. Bustang needs to be expanded and advertised. Transportation-Housing Hubs need to be zoning realities.
Colorado is facing high-stakes issues. I think, perhaps boldly, you will be better off if I represent you in Denver. And so, I seek your consideration.
Adrian “Buzz” Sweeney