News for Norther Colorado and the world

Thursday, May 23, 2024

Thunder Double-Up Eagles

Thunder Double-Up Eagles in First of Back-to-Back Meetings

STOCKTON, Calif. – The Stockton Thunder defeated the Colorado Eagles, 4-2, in the first of back-to-back meetings this weekend.  The game was Colorado’s fourth in five days, and the middle match of three in a row in the state of California.  Goaltender Robby Nolan stopped 31 of 35 shots in his Eagles debut.

As is common when the Eagles & Thunder meet, the first period featured fast-paced action with plenty of scoring chances.  Both teams, however, received quality play from their goaltenders, sending them into the first intermission in a scoreless tie.

Stockton got the game’s first goal at 2:52 of the second session when Kevin Baker stole the puck inside the Eagles’ blue line, skated in on Nolan and fed a wide open Max Campbell crashing the back door.  They then made it 2-0 at 18:43 following another turnover in Colorado’s zone when Chris Doyle skated in toward the slot from the right wall and snapped a shot into the net.

The Thunder continued to add to their lead at 6:20 of the final frame when Mike Little’s blast from the point was deflected into the Colorado cage.  But less than a minute later, Colorado would finally get on the board just six seconds into their first power play of the night when Michael Forney found Kevin Ulanski on the doorstep.

Then, at 11:09, Colorado converted on its second power play of the game when Chad Costello patiently waited with the puck in the left circle before putting a shot past Olivier Roy to trim Stockton’s lead to 3-2.  The goal put Costello back into a tie for the league lead in points (63) and extended his point streak to 12 games.

But unlike the previous night, the Eagles wouldn’t be able to stage a strong comeback attempt as Stockton went back up by two at 15:58 when Matt Foy skated down the right wing and left a pass for Jordan Fulton in the right circle where the unchecked forward was able to beat Nolan.

The teams will meet again tomorrow evening at 5 p.m. (MST), and it could be interesting as both coaching staffs approached each other and exchanged words — without physical contact — following the final whistle.


Print This Post Print This Post